Tuesday, July 5, 2011

“So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.”

Life is truly a gift. I have heard this said in movies, plays, on the news, from friends, family...etc etc. It may never go as you plan, but I think that's part of the plan. At least I find that's true for me. It has been 5 years now since I graduated from high school and I can't help but reflect on how I thought my life would play out after high school and what actually has happened. I was never popular growing up, but I'm so glad for that. I feel that while everyone else was worried about fitting in and hanging out with the "cool" crowd, I shied away. Sure I was friends with these people because some I grew up with and others I had classes with, but I don't think I ever really "fit". People often say that who you were in high school doesn't matter once you leave, and I agree and disagree with that statement. There will always be people who thought they were better then everyone else in high school and didn't give others a chance, and I'm definitely no exception. In high school my grasp of the world and life was TINY. I had no idea who I was.

5 years later I think i'm getting a little better idea of who "Kaiti" is, what I want in life, and what's important.

I was really fortunate and graduated with some amazing people who have done some incredible things with their lives. A lot of my friends have graduated from college and have gone on to grad school, or have gotten incredible jobs. The world is truly ours for the taking. We can be anyone we want to be. We can do anything we want to do. I think we often put limits on ourselves, or feel pressured to fit pre-determined "expectations" or "stereotypes" we feel our parents, friends, society, or religion have of us. I thought I would have been married and graduated from college by 21. That's just what I pictured for my life all growing up. I thought coming to college I was going to be a journalist because I have always loved to write or a special education's teacher because I discovered a love for helping and trying to make others lives happier or better. I guess I came close enough and found something better suited for me even though it wasn't what I had initially dreamed. A quote has come to mind a lot over the past few months as I've been picturing what life has in store for me.... "if you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." This perfectly describes my life and the plans I made 5 years ago, and those I continually make. Nothing I "planned" to happen in the past 5 years came together like I expected.

Just for the heck of it, I figured I make "plans", goals, or even dreams that I would like to see take place in the next 5 years of my life. If they happen great, if not - oh well. It's just things to look forward to:)

As of today though, July 6, 2011, these are my dreams and “plans”, even though some may be broad, for the next few years:

- Graduate from college April 2012

- Find an internship that I can excel in before I graduate

- Travel Asia

- Do a couple or a few volunteer work trips to different countries in the world

- Find a job where I know I can make a positive difference in at least one person’s life.

- Become an event planner

- Learn to be patient

- Develop new talents

- Move out east. If that doesn’t happen, I’d love to end up along the west coast.

(I’m sure I’ll think of more as time goes on and some are bound to change)


I'm only 22 years old. Still trying to discover and figure out what life's journey is all about. There are so many things I do not know or understand and may not ever. I'll always be trying to find meaning and reason behind accomplishments and what I think is failure for myself. There are a few important things I do know though: No dream is impossible. There will always be people to help us back up when we fall. We are never alone. We are not meant to be sad and heartbroken and we have to know that things will get better. Life is to be enjoyed so we must enjoy and treasure each day. Especially the small and simple things.

2 comments:

Lana Dawn said...

So glad for another update so soon! it is interesting how life turns out... but it always seems to be better than we could have planned. It will be fun to look back on your list of goals in 5 years and see where you are then!! I LOVE YOU!

KandyJill said...

Dude, I HEAR you! Its so crazy how we make plans for ourselves and how the Lord has a different plan for us eh? I love that quote you shared about giving God a good laugh.. hahaha that made me laugh! I can definitely say I've made God laugh on several occasions hahaha. And what's interesting is that sometimes the things that make God "laugh" (so to speak) can be our most difficult times and bring us to our knees in tears. I've definitely been in that situation many times before too. It's interesting how we make plans for ourselves and get frustrated if life doesn't go our way... but as we look back we are so grateful for the Lords plan for us because he truly knew what was best for us!

Love you girl!